Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Marsaxlokk and Valletta


The picture is of my saint on the corner of my street in Marsaxlokk.  I now have a Malta ID card and a Malta Heritage membership card so I feel more and more each day like I belong!  Today was recycling day and I just managed to catch the truck as it came down our street.  Then I rode my bike over to Tarxien to see how long it will take when I go over there to visit the temples.

Notte Bianco on Saturday in Valletta was a good way to get an idea of the various venues around the capital.  The event has been held each year for three years.  The streets are decorated with the parish church banners and all the churches are dressed up with all their saint statues.  The people of Valletta throng the streets and sit in the churches praying.  They are joined by locals from all over the island as well as tourists.  Public transport busses keep running until late so I was able to get back to Marsaxlokk after enjoying a wander through the streets and a browse through several of the sites that were open free of charge.  I went round the museum of archaeology to find out about the temples, the General Workers Union building to find out about the history of trades unions in Malta (GWU started the same year that I was born) and the Manoel theatre.  There were also performances in the streets and art exhibitions.  I now have a map of all the arts venues and on Sunday went up again to Valletta for a harpsichord concert in St Catherine's of Italy church and to the Mediterranean Conference centre to go round their exhibition of the hospital of the Knights of St John as well as the concert, Voices, which is a bi-annual offering for charity by a 120 voice choir of volunteers along with a band and soloists.

Will add a photo and publish because I have spun out my cappucino too long!

No comments: