Monday, March 7, 2011

Editing the past


This sad lion is somewhere in San Anton Palace garden, I think. If I discover at some future date that it is somewhere else in Malta, I can come into the post again and edit.

I wish it was so easy to change the past in the light of new facts that emerge in the present! But except for spelling and grammar, if I decide to edit or add to one of my posts over the past few years I will put in the date of the later additions. My effort for today will be largely devoted to adding some reference details to my posts on Barriera Wharf and Valletta, EU Capital of Culture.

Valletta has been buzzing with carnival this weekend and through until tomorrow evening. The streets are packed. Small witches, cavaliers, court ladies, super heros are everywhere. They ride in strollers and on shoulders, they clutch adult hands or strut independently, they chase each other through squares and side streets. People who have to work complain about the traffic chaos, the float builders complain about the change of route imposed by the work on City Gate. Yet once again the floats and costumes are totally extravagant in colour and form, the marching bands are loud, tourists and locals jostle to get the perfect photo, the roadies guide massive floats and grotesque puppets through the throng without breaking too many papier mache finger nails.

This is my third carnival so I no longer pay for a ringside seat to watch the dance competitions and the parades but I still love the surprise of flamboyant costumes at every turn and massive floats slowly progressing past Valletta balconies and ancient coats of arms.

This week I'm one of the workers. I have classes every afternoon and at the weekend I'll be going over to Gozo with Ramblers Malta. So I may have to renege on my daily posts even before I've completed a full week!

3 comments:

Mary Sammut said...

Hello Jo, I am sure that you enjoyed the Karnival this year. I remember as kids, karnival was always a thrilling time for us. We used to run to the street corner to watch,as groups of people of all ages dressed up in costumes made their way down from Senglea (we lived in Cospicua, close to St. Pauls's church)to wherever they were going. If you have not seen it already, do not miss the running with the statue of the risen Christ, l'Irxoxt, which takes place on Easter Sunday morning in Cospicua and a few other towns. Enjoy all the things that the rest of us miss so much. Mary Ghio from MGF

Unknown said...

Hello Josephine, Yes enjoy the carnaval in Valletta and tell us all about it. Oh, and don't forget the European culture capital in 2018 is a shared one. Ken from MGF

Josephine Burden said...

Thanks, Mary, I still haven't made it to the Cospicua running of the statue but will try and get there this year. And that's right, Ken, I think the other European Capital of Culture for 2018 is in Holland.