Saturday, June 12, 2010

This is a dunny!


The photo was taken at Popeye's village at Anchor bay to the north of Malta. It was taken when I visited for the first time with my 8 year old niece. The theme park emerged from the specially constructed set used for the making of the movie of Popeye. My niece loved it and I appreciated the quirky village buildings and the dramatic setting. There was a strong wind blowing into the bay that day so the floating water features weren't in use and I could see why the breakwater constructed for the making of the movie is already breaking up.

In Australia, dunny is the term for an outside toilet. This setting makes it an extreme example!

This post is just a promise. I have neglected the blog this month as my life has taken over and I have been enjoying visitors. As soon as I organise my thoughts I'll catch up. I'm aware that I still haven't told the story of our walking trip to Liguria and there is so much happening in Malta that I want to write about.

2 comments:

Observer said...

So Malta is where Popeye was made. Was that the Robin williams version? I remember years ago visiting Albany in Western Australia and feeling that I'd walked onto the Popeye movie set. There were even whales frolicking in the bay. It was magic. Now I have to visit Malta, but when? So many countries, so little time. As always loved the photo and enjoyed the post

Josephine Burden said...

Yes, it was the Robin Williams movie. I never saw it but I love the set! Despite looking as though it is about to fall down, it must have been well built to be still standing safely. In some of the buildings they have added things like Santa's grotto with moving elves to try and create a year round market. Olive and Popeye dance through the streets and Olive and Baby walk around with baby albino rabbits for children to stroke. Olive was upset when I asked about the traditional Maltese dish of rabbit stew.