Sunday, September 7, 2008

Catching my breath


I'm back at my brother's place in Gloucester nursing a shocking cold and trying to catch up with my blog and other aspects of my life which seems to have collided in a big heap!  It's Sunday morning and my niece Grace, who has just gone back to school, is also sitting with me at the kitchen table watching CBBC.  It is quite late and may be getting on to lunchtime but we seem to be into sloth for the morning at least.

I arrived here on Thursday evening after a nightmare trip down from visiting my older brother, Jim, who lives on an old fishing boat called Lothian Queen in a marina in Ardrossan in Scotland.  I travelled down on the train but the track was washed out between Lancaster and Preston because of heavy rain and we had to wait for buses to transfer us between trains stuck on either side.  My cold was beginning to take hold so I decided not to call in to visit my friend Celia in Cheshire as I didn't want to spread the germs around so I walked in to my brother's kitchen after dark as they were starting to encourage Grace to go to bed.  Since then my cold has matured whilst I have tried to keep up with Gloucester activities like going to the great folk museum where Grace made a paper doll with fold on clothes and I learnt traditional basket weaving.  

This week I plan to gather all my scattered thoughts and possessions in preparation for meeting up with Carole again at Heathrow airport to fly to Rome and make our way by train down through Italy to Sicily and then get the ferry over to Malta where I have already organised the rental of my flat in Marsaxlokk for six months.  I am looking forward to settling for a longer period and will arrange internet access at the flat so I can keep in touch.  In the meantime, I will update my blog with photos and news of my travels so far on the posts I've made up until now so if you're looking in, check up some of the back posts over the next few days as I try and get up to date.

No comments: