Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Ring o' Kerry


So I'm up to date with photos but there are still large chunks of the past month or so that are fast disappearing into the grey areas of my brain.  Today, I'll get started on the Ireland leg of my travels.

Carol and I set off on the train from Gloucester to Fishguard in Wales several weeks ago.  I'd booked the ferry from Fishguard to Rosslare in Ireland several months before on-line, but we discovered when we went to book the train that internet bookings did not take account of connection to the train - it was cheaper to book train and ferry trip than it was just to book the train!  This was to lead to several weeks of half-hearted email and telephone effort on my part to point out how the virtual booking system did not take account of the realities of train timetables. In effect, I ended up paying for 5 cross channel passages rather than 2!  But the train trip along the southern coast of Wales was great. 

The ferry crossing was also great fun - very calm and no rain!  The ferries are really set up for comfort with every facility you could wish for on board.  At one stage we had a Welsh male voice choir spontaneously bursting into song behind us at the bar whilst we watched the Olympics on a huge screen in front of us.  The choir started singing 'Delilah' as the women's hockey, China v. Netherlands, got underway.

We stayed overnight in Wexford where I heard for the first time in a rather old audio-visual presentation at the monastery about Ireland's history of invasion and about the 1798 democratic rebellion.  From there, we travelled on by bus to Waterford and then Cork before finding our first B & B in Killarney to start the Ring of Kerry walk.  I'll post a picture with this now and will edit later with more detail of the walk.

No comments: