Saturday, December 20, 2008

Stormy weather at Marsaxlokk


We've had more than a week of cold, windy, wet weather.  In the winter here, the limestone blocks of the houses absorb moisture so the inside is colder than the outside.  Even on the worst of days, the sun usually comes out at some point and warms up the spots that are protected from the wind.  I haven't been able to find such a spot yet, but I noticed when I got off the bus down on the front one blustery day that there was a whole line of old fishermen sitting along a wall chatting in the sun.

Last week, in the worst of the winds, the Freeport at Birzebbugia next to Marsaxlokk was closed and several ships had to weather the storm outside the harbour.  There have been incidents of ships dragging their anchors and damaging the fish farms that are located on the outer edges of the harbour.  There were also a couple of fishing boats swamped in Marsaxlokk.

I don't know if there is a connection to the weather but I found out yesterday that the reason I couldn't access my Australian email server was because a cable had been broken between Malta and Sicily.  I woke up this morning and found we were connected again.  My other surprise this morning was a ring on the front door bell and the delivery of a giant Christmas cake from my sister in California.  Technology is wonderful!

The photo that heads this post is of the design for a Christmas crib silhouette that is happening at the Al Fresco cafe on the front at Birzebbugia.  I walk over there to post my Christmas packages.  Two weeks ago when I called into the cafe on the way back from the post office, the young artist was starting his sketches.  Last week his painted design was up on the trellis were the silhouette is going to go.  If I can get to walk over next week, the finished artwork might be up.

No comments: