Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A different place


There has been a subtle change in the way I view the world.  I have been busy with arranging fund transfers and all the minutiae of buying property in a new country.  I'm also still a bit flat from my cold.  But there is something else.  I have started to see Malta as my base from which I hope to visit other places in a world that continues to fascinate and entice me.  Last week, Australia was my base and I was traveling for a year.  

As I have been photocopying documents (I go to the local news agent) and emailing, a couple of other things have been surfacing.  Firstly, the planning of my trip to Australia during April/May is more settled with the Egypt leg in place.  I still need to sort out six days in Dubai/Oman and three days in Singapore but I'm getting a clearer picture of the possibilities.

The other aspect is that I have started to think about finding some part-time work when I return to Malta at the start of 2010.  There is an advertisement for TEFL teachers in the closed immigrant centres and I am looking into that as a way of finding out what employment processes are in place here.  I don't want to take on too much as I still like playing with my writing and I've enrolled in an on-line course for a year on the novel with Queensland Writers.

This week I've still managed to fit in some concerts.  Thursday's lunchtime at St Catherine's was baroque music for flute and harpsichord and on Sunday a string quartet playing Rossini and a quintet playing Dvorjak.  I am so glad that I have discovered late in life the pleasure of classical music!

I stayed on in Valletta on Sunday and went to a concert by the Vallette Clarinet Quartet in the Music Room at St James Cavalier.  This was 20th century music including a piece by Maltese composer Charles Camilleri who has only recently died.

The photo is of a fishing boat at rest in Marsaxlokk.  I will find ways of continuing to enjoy Marsaxlokk when I am living in Valletta.  

No comments: