Friday, March 20, 2009

A turning point


The photo is taken off Delimara and shows fishing boats returning to Marsaxlokk.

My cold has kept me at home this week but the sun has been warm so I have spent a lot of time on the roof reading.  On Sunday I missed the Ramblers walk.  It was to be another circuit of the Valletta bastions but this time continuing through Marsa to the Marsovin winery in Paola for a lunchtime  wine-tasting.  Some friends in Australia were also having lunch on Sunday, so I missed lunches at both ends of the world!

I also missed a course on Maltese trees to be held at Mosta and an open day at San Pawl Milqi which is built on the site of a Roman villa owned by Publius who welcomed St Paul when he was shipwrecked here in 60AD.  To make up for it, I've finished reading a book by the scuba diver, Mark Gatt, called "Pawlus - the shipwreck" that is an interesting collection of historical research, marine archaeological finds and stories related to St Paul.

But I managed to drag my cold to Valletta on two days.  On Thursday, I made it to the concert of flute and harpsichord sonatas at St Catherine's and on Tuesday I went up for the signing of our convenium on the purchase of my flat in Valletta!  The convenium is like a promise of commitment to buying and selling property here in Malta.  It is a process whereby buyer and seller come together to clarify all the details related to the transfer of ownership.  I now have six months to make sure that all the necessary steps are taken so that I have a place to live when I return in 2010.  

I feel anxious about it all but know that it is a good decision for me.  Now the things that I do over the coming year will be informed by my return to Malta at the end of the year.  I've made my choice at the fork in the road!

No comments: