Friday, June 27, 2008

Making elderflower cordial


Celia and I went walking in Lawton woods and picked elderflowers for making cordial.  We made up the brew on Wednesday and I will take a jar down today when I travel by train back down to my brother's place in Churcham.  Here is the recipe:

25 heads elderflowers
3 sliced oranges
2 sliced lemons
3 pints water

Soak for 24 hours
Strain onto:
2 lbs caster sugar
50 grams tartaric or citric acid
Stir and save in glass bottles or jars
Dilute with ice and 3 parts water for a delicious refreshing summer drink!

Yesterday Celia and I went over to Sale in Manchester where Celia's daughter lives with her musician husband Huw and her two small daughters, Chloe and Megan.  It was very challenging but delightful to be the children's carers for the day including taking Chloe to Dinky Dancing at the local leisure centre.  

Am off now to get the train to Gloucester.

No comments: