Saturday, July 5, 2008

In Alexandria


I'm writing this in the wireless computer lab of the college apartments of TEFL International in Alexandria in Egypt.  When I first got into the blogspot site, the bar across the top was all in Arabic so I couldn't work out how to sign in.  So I started pressing randomly until I worked out a way to bring up English.  I then tried to make a new post but found that I had lost connection to the site so lost what I had done so far.  Safari was telling me that it couldn't find blogger.com.  I tried to calmly work out what was happening as my niece, Sholeh, has inspired me to do.  And that's when I realised that I had flagged my site as "Objectionable content"!  So if you're getting a red flag at the top of your page, it's not because I've started waving the banner!  It's because I've listed my own site as objectionable.  I've now signed off and on again and it seems to be working OK.

This lab appears to be the general gathering point for all the people who are enrolled on the course or who teach in TEFL.  It's air conditioned!  Most of the people are American or young and some are experienced travellers.  I've just chatted to a young Englishman who is trying to get a visa to travel through Libya after the course, as I am planning to do but he is trying to do it without getting formally invited by a local travel agent as I had to do from Australia.  He seems to be very persistent in trying to negotiate the Egyptian bureaucracy!

I lost my connection at that point and couldn't post.  Now I've logged on early in the morning before going to the college campus to start the course.  We had our orientation last night and the campus is a crazy, one hour drive away but in the heart of Alexandria so it will be a good base for looking around.  When I logged on, I found my other posts as drafts so I scrapped one and will post this one before I loose connection.

A few days later and I am going to try and add at the top a view from our apartment balcony into the garden courtyard below.

No comments: